Monday, August 9, 2010

Fresh and Fantastic.

I had to call Grandma Helen when my garden started producing both dill and cucumbers.  Dilly green beans are one of my favorite recipes that grandma has continued over the years.  The beans aren't quite ready yet, so I'm starting with Deli Dills.  Pickles! 

Grandma said this particular recipe was one of her favorites so how could I go wrong?  With fresh picked cucumbers and dill, I went to work this morning with freshly washed quart size mason jars...  In my natural style and favorite way to cook, strict measurements aren't necessary.

Here's the recipe I followed: Deli Dills

For each jar:
Cucumbers Sliced Length-wise
1 Garlic clove
Chopped Onion
Fresh Dill
1/4 cup Pickling salt
1/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Vinegar
Cold Water

Layer cucumbers, onion, garlic and dill in a large, clean jar.  Add salt, sugar and vinegar.  Top with more dill in there is room.  Fill jar to top with water.  Screw cap on tight and shake until salt and sugar dissolve.  Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.  Place jar in fridge and leave for 2 days.

After that the pickles are ready to eat!  Can't wait!




No comments:

Post a Comment