Thursday, April 8, 2010

What is a CSA?

Until tonight, reading my April 2010 edition of Bon Appetit magazine, I had no idea what a CSA is.  Turns out, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  What is that?  A subscription to a CSA in your area will get you a basket full of local, (and most likely organic) fruits, vegetables, soap, eggs, pickles, poultry, beef, pork, maple syrup, etc. each week for a dmoderate price.  The selection you get depends on the season and the farm. 

When I went to BonAppetit.com after reading the one paragraph article on page 32 I didn't expect to find any of these trendy farmers in my small town corner of Ohio.  Suprisingly, I was wrong!  There are a few in my neck of the woods and they look absolutely fabulous!  I've emailed one called Ber-Gust Farms in Waynesfield, OH and cannot wait to hear back from her.

I must admit, I have both a personal and professional interest in Ber-Gust Farms for a couple reasons.  Personally, I think a CSA membership might be right for me!  I love trying new foods and eating fresh.  This is a great way to branch out and perhaps be delivered some ingredients you didn't know existed or have been too scared to purchase.  This particular CSA is $25/week for a full basket and $15 for a half basket.  Since a full is meant for a family of four, I would have to go with the half for sure.  I wouldn't want any of the fresh ingredients to go to waste...although I would like to try my hand at canning this season.  (That's another entry I think!)

Professionally, I am putting together a May Sweeps piece on organic gardening and this is something that I think I can feature that many people wouldn't have heard about before...I might actually pass on some useful knowledge on the nightly news cast.  Ha!  Also, Laura's garden might need some tips and tricks from a real organic gardner.  I'm just an ametuer, I think I might need some help!

Did I stumble upon a hidden gem or did everyone else know about this?  You can find a CSA in your area by visiting LocalHarvest.org

No comments:

Post a Comment