Monday, July 2, 2012

Sunday Dinner, It's Not Pretty, but it Sure is Tasty.

I'm back on track for my Sunday Dinner posts.

This weekend I tried a Pinterest recipe that looked and sounded fantastic on the original blog... read it and get the recipe here... While mine didn't turn out looking as nice, it still tasted fantastic.  My potato onion tart was a big hit.

Here's the response I got from my brother-in-law when he found out I was making a potato onion tart:

Sister: Laura is making a potato onion tart for dinner.

Brother-in-law: What the hell is a potato onion tart?

Sister: I don't know but it sounds good.

Haha, it did sound good!  Here was my problem, I may have had the heat too high or sauteed my onions a little too long before putting them in the oven with the potatoes. I will try it again.  eithe rway though, put a bunch of cheese with potatoes and it's pretty hard to go completely wrong.  Everyone still thought it tasted really good and that's what matters most.  I will give this a second attempt and perhaps bake it at 350° instead of 400° and see how that works.

As a main dish we made simple grilled salmon with just salt and pepper and some lemon juice and olive oil.  But to dazzle it up a bit we served it with a side of tzatziki sauce.  Yum! 

To make tzatziki sauce, mix a cup of yogurt with half a grated cucumber, some chopped fresh dill, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.  You can't really mess it up, specific amounts aren't important.  Just taste it and add more of something until you like it!  I like it with plenty of dill, dried dill weed works great too. 

For a second side and to incorporate a little green into the meal, we sauteed fresh green beans in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.  A few minutes over medium heat and they are tender but still a bit crunchy.  They taste so fresh when paired with the cheesy potatoes.


1 comment:

  1. Nice rendition of a recipe for "Potato Cake" I used to make. I'll have to try this one, the cheeses sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete