Saturday, September 25, 2010

Everyone's a Critic.

One of my favorite shows I Project Runway.  I love seeing what Michael Kors, Nina Garcia and of course, Heidi Klum have to say compared to what I think.  Sometimes I agree and sometimes I (or they) am way off.

Watching the interaction between designer's judging the work of their fellow competitors today reminded me a little of the environment here in the news room.

It's very easy to sit on the outside and point out the mistakes of others..it's a lot harder to recognize them in your own work!  It's because of this that the news business is one that requires a tough skin.  For me, it's important I take the critiques at face value, consider who they are coming from, and then either use them or dismiss them.

Either way, getting the opinions of others can do a couple things.  One, it can make your work ten times better...two heads are better than one right?  I think the flip side can also happen.  It can sway your vision to create a muddled story with no clear focus.  Too many chefs spoil the pot, right?

It was funny to me to see such a similarity in two very different industries.

No comments:

Post a Comment