Friday, November 4, 2011

Dirty Hair.

I'm a huge fan of dry shampoos!  They are a great brilliant way to freshen up your 'do without having to lather rinse, repeat, blow dry and style.  That takes a long time!  So especially on the weekends or when you wake up 30 minutes past your alarm clock, it's great to look good with minimal effort involved.

That said, I was ecstatic when I saw a new commercial for Suave dry shampoo in an aerosol can.  The excitement came mainly from Suave's reputation for lower than reasonable pricing.  But the Pinterest-lover in me thought, "I bet I can make that."  So I went to Suave.com to check out the ingredients.

And that's where my love for Suave dry shampoo ends.  Here's the list of ingredients.  Note that is starts out with a propellant for the aerosol called isobutane and second on the list: PROPANE.  Seriously.

Isobutane,Propane, SD Alcohol 40-B (Alcohol Denat.), Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Butane, Fragrance (Parfum), Isopropyl Myristate, Silica



But the truth is, I can make dry shampoo.  And in a much more organic fashion than using the same material that lights up my grill.  Of course, Pinterest connected me to a couple great blogs for a recipe.  But in a pinch, plain corn starch or baby powder work too!

Organic Hair Powder:

2 Tablespoons Organic Arrowroot Powder

2 Tablespoons Kaolin Clay
1 Teaspoons Organic Horsetail Powder
6 drops Essential Oil of choice (more or less depending on the oil and your preference)

Mix in a medium bowl and then sift into a fine powder to remove any clumps.  Voila!

Natural Dry Shampoo:

2 Tablespoons Cornstarch 
2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons Cornmeal
2 Tablespoons Ground Oatmeal

Grind all in a blender and sift!



No comments:

Post a Comment