Saturday, July 10, 2010

Perks and Cukes.

The reporter side of my job sometimes offers a few benefits that give the job that something extra.  I was doing a story on Fourth of July, Way Higher than knee-high corn this past week and chatted live with a local farmer about his crops.  In the down time we got to inspecting his cucumbers and he picked a few for the camera guy, Phil, and I to take home with us.  They were early season so not the biggest, but they were tasty!  I don't know what Phil did with his, but I made sure to grab Grandpa's recipe for cucumber-onion salad!  Here's the recipe...it's a little sweeter than other versions I've tried...

Thinly sliced cucumber. 
Thinly sliced onion.
1/2 cup white vinegar.
1/2 cup sugar.
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil.
Salt.
Pepper.

Heavily salt the sliced cucumbers and onion.  Let sit for an hour or more.  Rinse.  Drain and press to remove as much water as possible.  In a separate bowl, wisk vinegar, sugar and oil.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Viola!

Turned out fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment