Friday, July 22, 2011

Mmmmm, Avocados!

I can't get enough of avocados!  I would put them on everything!  For a story yesterday I paid a visit to Chef Carrie Hamilton's house, where she made a cool summer salad as a way for WLIO viewers to avoid all cooking on the hottest day of the year.  I told her she couldn't use a stove, oven or grill, but the meal still had to be satisfying.

She came up with one of the best salads I've ever had... that may be in part to the great avocado dressing that put the taste of one of my favorite green foods into every bite.  And it was simple!  Check out the recipe below!

Layered Salad
•6 c. Salad greens
•2 c. Store-bought rotisserie chicken, shredded
•1 c. Shredded cheese
•15 oz. can Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
•1 c. Mushrooms, sliced
•1 c. Cucumbers, sliced
•1 c. Cherry tomatoes, sliced
•1 c. Red onion, sliced

Layer all ingredients in a large bowl. Top with dressing. Toss.
Avocado Dressing
•1 Large avocado
•2 Garlic cloves, minced
•1 c. Light sour cream
•2 T. Lemon juice
•Dash Cayenne Pepper
•Dash Cumin
•Salt and pepper, to taste

Add all ingredients to a food process and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment